Nu Shooze - Sedum Palmeri


Can't say that I've actually paid any attention to anything in the garden this last month or so. Too busy tied up in one of a million DIY projects that need to be sorted out. Currently I'm re-fitting two bathrooms, so deep joy.

Anyway, driving through the jaw droppingly beautiful village of Beynac a while back I stopped off to visit a little shop which sells all manner of weird and wonderful metal objects, all handmade, all from re-cycled material. I had to have these boots for planters. Too Ted Hughes 'The Iron Man' to pass up.


I reckon they'll look great stuffed with sedum palmeri. I love this plant, sprawling and with an exotic twang it even seems happy in a frost, the leaves colouring up and tinged with red as the temperature drops.


It roots just for fun. Break a piece off and stick it in the ground, easy. You can have lots of it - fill your boots so as to speak.

Comments

  1. love the boots I hope you will plant then in the spring...I thought Our beautiful gadren... was mostly written by a women? on facebook? but do you both contribute?... or have i got it all wrong...confused

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'll plant them up sometime in March.

      I write the blog, often with more frequency than this last month.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Sweetbay. The shop where they came from is full of over the top stuff.

      Delete
  3. Is this sedum hardy in your area, or is this a planting intended for spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm told that it's reliably hardy here in zone 8. A zone 8 which had a period of winter cold last February which was decidedly zone 6b. I guess if it's in a pot, particularly a metal one, it's effectively living in a much colder winter climate than this zone, so I'll protect it from the worst of the weather. The recent light frosts has served to colour up its leaves.

      Delete
  4. Those bootz look big enough to fit a giant Rob or is that just the impression the photo gives? They will look great planted up. Hope that you can turn your back on the diy over the festive season and put your feet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're big 'ol boots Anna. That was part of the attraction. I'm trying to meet a DIY deadline and have the bathrooms close to finished before xmas>

      Delete
  5. Huge boots!

    That's a great sedum. I'm so fond of most varieties that work well in pots so that I can move them around the gravel garden to follow the sun as the seasons change.

    Putting together plans for our 2013 trip to France. What's the best month for sunny weather in the Dordogne? We hit rain in Paris in April and October this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June is my favourite month. It can rain at any time of course, never a guarantee as we're temperate.

      Delete
  6. It looks edible.

    Big boots. Sore boots. Sad boots. Happier stuffed with sedum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good enough to eat. They'll be stuffed this coming spring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment